Monday 3 March 2014

In preparation

Finally, the time has come for me to suppress this travel bug, that has been making my feet itch for quite some time. I thought the time would never come, but one resounding lesson from my previous 30 years stands out; everything comes to an end - including waiting.

Preparing for my travels has proven to be a self reflective process, and I have learned a lot about myself during the last few months. One thing I have learnt is that I hate clutter and hoarding belongings. Another thing I have learnt, or more like solidified my feelings on, is my complete lack of desire for material goods. Through growing up in a Western society, it has become custom for people to accumulate all sorts of material goods throughout their lives- Books, CDs, MP3 players, ornaments, gadgets, clothes etc. A direct result of living in a consumer driven society, me thinks!

In preparation for my own journey, I decided to get rid of everything I own, which I felt I wouldn't use again, either on my travels or when I return - golf clubs, clothes, old copy books from school, old bank statements, phone bills to name but a few. Why did I still have a lot of these things? I have no idea, but I feel very liberated, having rid myself of so many things that have been laying idle for God knows how long! It's not like I have, or ever will look back on my bank statements for fond memories of being broke from one end of the month to the next!

Having a very varied wardrobe was never a huge priority for me. Just take a look at any photos of me from over the years and that will become patently obvious. The only way you'd be able to tell if it was a different occasion would be by looking at my hair length. 

I donated most of my clothes to charity shops. Reducing my wardrobe significantly means I will be travelling very light; this is one of my favourite things to do. Perhaps it is a fear of being responsible for too many things, or just a necessity to limit the strain on my, already weak, spine. My rucksack is classified as hand luggage, so I will avoid queues at airports for checking in luggage. When I land, I can just walk straight off the plane without having to wait for my luggage to be loaded onto the carousel. It may not sound like much, but that is a lot of hassle and time saved, in my humble opinion.

Some of my inspiration for this trip has been taken from a couple, Simon and Erin, that are currently travelling the World and making a living while doing so. They literally packed up their whole lives in the UK, for a life of travel and they have been on the road for quite some time. Obviously, they have a lot of tips to share and I have taken many of them on board myself. You'll even notice a similarity between some of the things I have written, as it is direct advice I took from their website. If you're thinking of heading off on your travels, check out their website and you'll surely take something of value from it. Here is a link:

For the first time in my life, I am going to be leaving the Western World behind me, in the hope of embracing new cultures and experiences. I am feeling all sorts of apprehension, anxiety and excitement about the upcoming few months. Who will I meet, what will I see, where will I go? Stay tuned and I will keep you posted.

Sláinte,

Mick

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck, Mick. Look forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveling light is the best way to go! And kudos to you for reducing your household belongings, too. Many people can never let go!

    ReplyDelete